— Daily Camera (@dailycamera) December 13, 2016
As a known leader of the Alt-Right movement, Yiannopoulos has some unapologetically strong views on many sensitive topics and has caused controversy at campuses through the country. UW- Milwaukee prepares as Milo Yiannopoulos is scheduled to visit on Tuesday, December 13.
For those who don’t know of Milo Yiannopoulos, here are a few things you need to know before attending, or protesting, his appearance on campus.
- He is an editor of Breitbart.com- Check out Yiannopoulos on Breitbart.com and you will find story after story to scroll through. Covering everything from Skittles to Donald Trump, Yiannopoulos has a long history with the conservative news site. He is also a strong Donald Trump supporter, which is no surprise considering the executive chair of Breitbart, Steven Bannon, was named Trump’s chief strategist and senior counselor.
- He is unapologetically outspoken- Yiannopoulos is a self-proclaimed online troll. He was kicked off of Twitter after rude comments to actress Leslie Jones resulted in his thousands of followers also trolling the Ghostbusters star. He defended himself saying in an ABC interview that he was only responsible for what he said, not what his followers said in response to his actions on Twitter.
- His appearances at North Dakota State University and Iowa State in December were cancelled- The “Dangerous Faggot Tour” headliner is known to be crass towards audience members, and both universities withdrew their invitations due to security concerns. According to The Guardian, Yiannopoulos accused the universities of “censorship” after the cancellations and said they didn’t have the guts to say what they were really doing by blaming the cancellation on security.
- He rejects the notion that he’s the leader of Alt-Right movement- Yiannopoulos said in an interview with CNBC that “I’ve never identified as the Alt-Right. The Press seems determined to crown me the queen of it. All I’ve done is give them a fair hearing in the Press.”
- He’s gay, British and Jewish- If you’ve heard Milo Yiannopoulos talk you may have been distracted by his attractive english accent; but don’t worry, he always says something wild to regain your attention. Yiannopoulos uses his knowledge of Britain to warn Americans about the drawbacks of political correctness. He also has disregards allegations of racism due to his abundance of romances with black men (he is not shy about sharing).